Monday, June 21, 2010

The first free Friday

Its a long story, but B has had two Fridays at nursery (when he is usually home with me), meaning I had two Fridays to myself! Luxurious. The first Friday, I went to the V&A quilt exhibition, which was outstanding. I got a bit teary at the Changi quilt and was wonderfully surprised to see the transportation quilt at the very end. I have seen this quilt before, and it is a wonderful record of the women transported from London to Van Diemen's Land. This quilt reminds me of how lucky I am that I can choose to move between these two places as I wish, not as someone else commands.
Anyway, I bought some of their lovely fabric at the end, some of which ended up as this:
The pattern is the Itty Bitty Baby Dress from Made by Rae. Its a great, free pattern and looks super cute. I also got the ric rac from V&A - they sell everything in their amazing shop! This is for my new niece in Western Australia - hopefully it gets to her while it still fits. Speaking of babies - we are expecting another one at the end of the year, which kind of explains the crying at the quilt exhibition and the current lack of knitting. It'll be back, I'm sure.

3 comments:

Ruthcrafts said...

I think I saw you - but wasn't sure (cos what's the odds of me travelling from Malvern to London to the V&A on the same day as you do?)! Lovely dress, and i love the thought of it crossing the world :)

katieh said...

I love how you just tacked that on to the end! ;)

Hi hi! how's you?

the dress is superb - and your niece is here! (I hope they are all well.)

it would be great to catch up very soon. xxx

Lara said...

I've just read this and realised your great news- congratulations!