Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Christmas come early

So this year, I seem to be ludicrously early on the Christmas front. I might have forgotten all sorts of important dates throughout the year (sorry again, mum!) and been writing February when it was actually April, but suddenly its October and I'm on the ball. Admittedly, I do have good motivation - my mum will be here for Christmas, as will a new baby :) So I'm doing things while I have the time, assuming that things will just get busier.
So cake is done - Delia's recipe, which seems to be the UK standard. And I was getting ready to make fruit mince (S likes the odd mince pie) but my supermarket didn't have any veg suet. For 3 weeks. In the meantime, I got the River Cottage book on preserves out of the library, and there was a recipe for fruit mince without suet, but with fresh plums and apples. I happened to have some plums in the freezer that needed to be used to make way for more substantial fare, so I gave it a go. The stuff is delicious. I'm not a huge fan of fruit mince - too sweet and cloying. But this is lovely and fruity. I'm just annoyed now that I only made a half batch (thats how many plums I had)!

No comments: