Monday, January 14, 2008

UK Swap Questionnaire

As one of my strategies for curing these January doldrums, I signed up to the UK Swap (you should too if you are in the UK, but hurry up 'cause there are limited places!)
So, here is my Quesionnaire. If you aren't my swap partner, this is probably really dull, and I would skip it if I were you. I promise pics of a finished object by the end of the week (maybe the end of the day - am home with a cold, so additional time is available).

Part One: Crafting
Do you knit, crochet, or both? Knit. No crochet for me.

What do you like to make? Stuff that I like. I tend to knit for me, occasionally for others if feeling confident. Seems like I am settling into a pattern of larger knit followed by six months of smaller recovery knits (socks, scarves, etc), but am currently lusting after almost every jumper pattern I see!

Do you have a favourite project? Um, not sure if this is favourite project category, or favourite specific project...categorywise, not really. I do like making socks, but also other things. As far as project goes, this changes alot but is probably my Anemoi mittens. Although somehow, despite my love for them, they are not yet a them, just a one.

Do you have a favourite type of fiber or brand of yarn? Again, not really. I prefer natural fibers, and despite my love of softy things, I find alpaca/mohair things a bit itchy. But still love them! Brand - I do lust after Rowan yarns, and I love Colinette yarns, and I really like hand-dyed things. But generally I am pretty non-committed on the brand thing.

Do you have a least favourite type of yarn? Hmm. Not specifically, but there are things about yarn that I dislike: splitty yarn, yarn that has knots in it, yarn that doesn't wash well, itchy yarn, nasty acrylics, novelty yarns, things that look like hair - you get the picture.

Do you do any other crafts? First I wrote no, but then I realised that I do! I make jewellery (kinda - just beading, nothing fancy. Although I am tempted by that art clay business...), and I sew occasionally, and I love making jams & preserves (is that a craft?). My dearest brews beer & wine & cider, so I kinda got roped into that too (also, you get to drink it, so it is strongly reinforcing)

What knitting do you bring ‘on the go’? Usually socks. But somehow, I rarely knit on the go. I still take something though - security blanket stuff.

What do you carry your ‘on the go’ knitting in? An old handbag that is a polyester satiny bag made from really pretty green print stuff that the lining ripped out of again and again and again until I retired it from everyday service, bought a decent bag, and relegated it to a knitting bag. It is great - can fit straights in and everything, but the detatched lining means that things get a little lost in there, sometimes. Still, I like it.

Do you want something new? Not really - seems like a bit of a waste given most of my knitting is done at home.

Are there any knitting gifts (book, toy, yarn, item, tool) that you have been lusting over? I would really like to be able to knit by proportions rather than patterns, so have been looking at books that can help me with that. Yarn....not much I am really lusting over there, although would like to try knitting with silk sometime. This year, I really wanna try knitting lace (I have my eye on Print 'o the Wave) so laceweight yarn would be cool. I really wanna make Veronik Avery's Shocking! skirt too. Really. So I have been thinking of getting the pattern for that. I don't have any stitch markers...I hear they are useful, but I seem to be doing ok without them using little scraps of wool. I still don't have a means of keeping my circular needles under control, they seem to be taking over my knitting drawer. Anyway, that is probably enough!

Part Two: Your Favourites
What is your favourite colour? Greens. After that, blues, browns (chocolately, not beigey), blacks, red.

What is your least favourite colour? Yellows & oranges. I like camel/tan colours, but they look awful on me.

What scents/smells do you like? Natural ones. I like lavender, rosemary, fresh quinces, cut grass, cakes cooking, coffee brewing.

What don’t you like? Artificial smells. Things that smell like fruit but aren't, highly floral scents.

How do you like to pamper yourself? (bubble bath, hand creams, massage, manicure) My 'regular' pampering is a bath, with some kind of oil/bubble stuff in it. I use handcreams, but prefer them to be practical and unscented. I love massages, but never seem to get around to going to have one. I am really crap at looking after fingernails/feet, etc - always something better to do. Am actually more likely to pamper via tasty treats than by physical treats (e.g., champers, chocolate, cheese).

What goodies to you like to treat your tummy with? (chocolate, biscuits, truffles, etc.) Oh. See above I guess. I like small little treats, that I can spread over a few days, rather than all in one go. I like chocolate (especially white or dark), fudgey things, chocolate & coffee together. I desperately miss Tim Tams, but can't be trusted with them.

Do you prefer tea or coffee while you knit? Tea. Or cocoa. Trying to limit caffeine, so only decaf coffee, and only at work.

Any particular kind? In the morning, Lady Grey. I used to have this lovely lavender tea (black tea with lavender bits in it - yum!) but can't seem to find it. Also sometimes Genmai Cha.

Favourite mug/cup? Currently, whatever is washed up. I used to have a favourite cup & saucer when we lived in Melbourne, but it seemed stupid to ship it across the world!

Do you listen to/watch anything while you knit? (TVshow-Along, movies, music, podcasts) Usually TV - whatever is on that doesn't drive me nuts! Ideally, Simpsons & Futurama, or a great movie. Very occasionally, Buffy dvds.

Part Three: Living & Past-times
Where do you live in the UK? (General idea not address) Oxford.

Have you always lived here, or did you grow up somewhere else? Grew up in Tasmania, lived in Melbourne for quite a few years, now living in the UK.

If you could visit anywhere in the world, where would you go? Oh, I hate this question! I guess there are a few answers - the place I would like to travel to most would be Vietnam/Cambodia/Laos. If I could only go to one place in the world ever again on holiday, it would be Italy. If I had to chose one place to be forever, it would be Australia.

If you couldn’t go to a knitting group, what other kind of gathering would you go to? (book club, tea party, yoga class, jewelery class, etc.) Maybe book club. I occasionally go to yoga class (less often than I would like). I would like to do a day course in jewellery making, but probably not a regular class.

What’s your style? (elegant, traditional, glamourous, girly, natural, sporty, outgoing, etc.) Yuk. Horrible question. Putting it positively - stylish, simple, hopefully elegant. Negatively - a bit boring & plain. I prefer plains to patterns, tailored to drapey, dark colours to light, waisted to busty, retro to high street.

Final Part:
Any allergies/preferences (fiber-wise or treat-wise)? Nah. Happy with any surprise!

Anything we missed that you’d like your partner to know? I don't think so...I guess they could always ask!

No comments: