Monday, January 07, 2008

Been gone so long...

Well, not that long. But I did need a bit of a blog break. And I am not sure that I might not need a bit more... I still don't feel like I have much to say. In the face of this blogging block there are many pictures! None of Xmas knitting yet - bizarrely, they still haven't arrived/been given! But they are out there, I promise.

Anyway, Christmas. It was quiet - just the two of us. Inside. Eating. You get the picture. Here is a bit of the festivities:

And here is my gorgeous present from Simon - unfortunately, I lost this at the first possible opportunity (New Years Eve). Very upsetting - I am in the process of trying to replace it. So this is all I have to remind me at this stage!

Then we headed off to Edinburgh. We spent two nights in Aberlady, East Lothians, to celebrate my birthday. We stayed at Kilspindie House, which was very nice, and we ate at their restaurant, Ducks at Aberlady, which was spectacular. Very very good food. And a lovely New Zealand riesling! One of the main reasons for going to the East Lothians was to combat some of the sea-longing that we were both having - and we sure got our fill!


We also got our fill of castles - favourite castle award has to go to Tantallon, which was unbelivably spectacular - the picture above is of Bass Rock, taken from Tantallon castle. You can see - it was a pretty grey Scottish day, but at the time we didn't realise it was probably the best weather of the whole holiday! Then on to Edinburgh, to visit a very old friend that I haven't seen for ages. It was fantastic to catch up with her, and to have the chance of uninterrupted social interaction! We headed into town for Hogmanay, which was lots of fun. Highlight: Red Hot Chili Pipers. I tell you, they are possibly the best party band - what could be more Scottish than three bagpipers playing rock?!

On New Years Day, we climbed Arthur's Seat. It was fantastic - fantastic atmosphere, fantastically Scottish, fantastically wet. And afterwards, we went to the fantastic Sheeps Heid. That's probably enough for now! There are a few more pics that I might post, but you get the idea. Edinburgh itself was great - I am glad I have gone, and the Scots are lovely and friendly people. They are actually interested in food. The countryside is gorgeous. I am really keen to get to the more outflung parts - the Orkneys & Shetlands maybe? Anyway, another place ticked off the list. And I am really looking forward to planning our holidays for 2008!

And there has been knitting progress - the Jo Sharp cardy is looking great, only half a sleeve & a collar to go! And I went to a yarn shop (with just a little purchasing) - more on that later.





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh it looks like you had a lovely holiday! I'm so sorry you lost the present though :( At least there is the photo, but that's surely not as great as having it - sounds like something I'd do!