Thursday, February 28, 2008

What winter holiday?

So we headed off to Argentiere last Thursday (despite BA's best attempts to thwart our travel plans). Argentiere is part of Chamonix, near Mont Blanc in France. It is spectacular. I decided that given we were only skiing/boarding for a few days this winter, we would go somewhere that we probably couldn't afford to go for a week or two. You know what? It wasn't that expensive (for skiing). And it was just gorgeous. And sunny. Which was not so great for the snow, but fine for us - having to stop skiing due to the slush around 3pm just turns into a great excuse for early apres ski!
Anyway, some pics, just to make you jealous:
Forest snow in Argentiere; S drinking beer on our hotel balcony (you can just see the lower piste that takes you home behind him - love walking to tows from your hotel!); Argentiere glacier (from our balcony)- cool, but rapidly receding, unfortunately (again, you can see this behind S in the previous pic).

There are some actual skiing pics but they are on my phone and I can't seem to find the cable right now (there is too much washing in the house!)Anyway, not sure how I managed to get more sun skiing for three days in February than I did for most of our 'summer' holidays, but sure glad I did! Also, this was our first visit to France, and I love it. Great people, great food culture, lovely scenery. I ate and ate - onion soup, creme brulee, creme caramel, nicoise, truit muniere, too much liquid cheese (fondue, tartiflette, raclette) - mmmmm. Although now I need to eat alot of fruit to feel normal.

Also, today I got my UK Swap parcel! Thanks Monica!! It is sooooo cool, but you will have to wait until the weekend for pictures.

No comments: