Yay! Secret Pal 10 Time!
And so here is my questionnaire.....
This turns out to be a bit embarrasing at times, but here 'tis:
1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
I prefer natural fibres - wool, alpaca, cashmere, less so cotton. Don't like synthetics, sparkly things, novelty yarns. Am truly hooked on Rowan yarns.
2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
ummmm...a plastic bag. Really.
3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
I learned to knit when I was about 7, from my mum. I mostly knitted cat blankets (I wasn't into dolls, & was ok at knitting squares). I didn't do much knitting - preferred embroidery as a child & quilting as I got older. Started again with a jumper in my honours year of study in 1999, and did a few bits and pieces until getting back into it in 2005. I am probably on the beginners side of intermediate, I guess, and very much self-taught in terms of anything other than straight knitting
4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
5. What's your favorite scent?
Ohhh...tricky. I wear Romance & L'eau D'Issey. I love lavender. I prefer 'real' smells (e.g., oil, dried flowers, etc.) to synthetic fragrances.
6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?
Yeah, kinda. I do like sweet things, but I don't crave them. I like chocolate (white and dark especially!), coffee & chocolate together, and turkish delight especially!
7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?
I used to make beaded jewellery but have fallen out of that since we moved to the UK - I think lack of vicinity to a bead shop & new knitting obsession! I occasionally sew, but mostly just collect fabrics that I promise I will do something with! I would like to learn to spin one day. We are about to start our allotment, and I love making preserves.
8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
I studied as a musician at uni for a few years, and my true love is classical (orchestral, particularly russian & this century) but I have very eclectic tastes & like 90's rock, metal, klezmer, folk, jazz of almost all flavours, some electronica....just not pop! Oh, and MP3s are fine.
9. What's your favorite color(s)? Any colors you just can't stand?
Well, I think my wardrobe would say green. I also like blue, but don't wear so much. Tend more towards muted colours than jewel tones. Like red, pink, browns. DOn't like yellow - makes me look odd! I tend to wear plain things, not patterns.
10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
Live with my dearest boy, but sadly no pets due to temporary status in the uk. There is a squirrel that visits our back yard, thats about it.
11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?
Since arriving in the u.k., yes (except ponchos - haven't quite adjusted to them yet). A big fan of the scarf.
12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
Mmmm, usually whatever I am planning to knit next! I like making hats, but have run out of people to give them to! I really like cabling.
13. What are you knitting right now?
Socks. My first go at toe-up. They are ok. They are for me! The short-row heels aren't as tidy as I would like & the self-patterning yarn isn't really me, but does make it fun.
14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?
Yes! Of Course!
15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
Umm, I don't really have a preference for straight or circular - I use them as needed. Only ever used aluminium until this Christmas when I was given a set of lovely wood 4mm dpns - they are gorgeous! I keep trying to find things to make on them! Am totally persuaded of the value of wood needles. Am about to purchase some bamboo dpns to have a play with too.
16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?
17. How old is your oldest UFO?
Belive it or not, I don't have UFOs! I have managed to be super disciplined since arriving in the UK - I came with half a jumper and have just worked on one thing at a time since then. It suits me and my obsessive ways just fine.
18. What is your favorite holiday?
I think this is meant in the more American sense of which festive season do I like - has to be New Years Eve. If it means holidays like vacations - my favourite is always the one coming up!
19. Is there anything that you collect?
No - I am more likely to throw things out than collect them! I always end up thinking how I just have to move everything with me everytime we go somewhere else...! So practical!
20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
Again, I am terribly dull. I don't have any subscriptions, and only one knitting book that I received for Christmas - The Stitch & Bitch one. I would really like to learn more Fair Isle - especially the more traditional european styles, and keep reading about how great Elizabeth Zimmerman is. I really like Vogue Knitting mag, but only have two from about 5 years ago! I look at the Rowan ones a bit, but don't have any. I am also obsessed with Eunny Jang's patterns but they are a real challenge! In terms of yarns, I would love to have a play with hand-dyed yarn - it looks so very pretty.
21. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?
Sure! I would like to be better at stranded knitting (although I don't wear that style much), and maybe have a go at Intarsia (although again, not really my style). I am really keen to have a go at lace knitting - also a bit fussy for my wardrobe but I think I could incorporate a scarf or shawl....!
22. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?
I am a novice sock knitter, & still learning & looking for my ideal sock pattern. I love wearing hand knitted socks! Foot measurements are: ball of foot is 8.5 inches/19cm around, foot is 10 1/4 inches/ 26cm long.
23. When is your birthday?
So there. Shows just how dull I really am!